Day One – Tuesday 5 February 2019
How Tech Can Help You Win That Deal
- Which technology do you need to win business?
- From AI to blockchain – What is out there and how can you benefit from it?
- Case study - How technology got that deal
Global Economic Outlook and the Impact on Private Equity Deals
- Two months to go – What are the likely effects of Brexit and how will this affect global investment in the UK?
- Global investment trends – the impact on UK PE and LP asset allocation
- What do tariff wars and rising interest rates mean for PE and PCs?
- Sector growth – 5 year forecast
Chair: Mark O'Hare, Founder and Chief Executive, Preqin
Rt Hon David Laws, Strategic Advisor, GK Strategy
John Tsui, Managing Principal, Peninsula House
Garry Wilson, Managing Partner, Endless
Bill Diviney, Senior Economist, ABN AMRO Bank NV
Examining the Strategy Behind the Deal
- Winning the deal
- Scale and time frame of changes to the business
- Which partners were used? How did this affect the process and outcome?
- Strategy behind exiting the business for maximum returns
Is the Climate for Fundraising Changing?
- Who are the new players in the market and what are they doing differently?
- Are the good times likely to end for the traditional model?
- New GP models and the impact on the LP relationship
- Exploring alternatives to the traditional 2/20 model
Graham McDonald, Head of Global Private Equity, Aberdeen Standard Investments
Maggie Loo, Partner,Investor Relations & Business Development, Bridges Fund Management
Frans Tieleman, Managing Partner - Head of Eurazeo Development, Eurazeo
Richard Damming, Head of Investments Benelux, France & Italy, Schroder Adveq
Getting the Risk Taking and Decision Making Strategy Right in Deal Making
Hear from the Future of Private Equity
Private Equity – What do we know and what are we learning
- Analysing returns and compression in the latest data from the Oxford PE Institute
- A warning on how measures are manipulated in marketing?
- Fee Controversy - Investigating the latest research on fees and costs
John Gilligan, Director, Oxford University
Which Industries Face Disruption in the Next 5-10 years?
- How can GPs prepare, plan and embrace this?
- Which sectors are attracting the most investment?
- Is this likely to change?
- Should GPs specialise or diversify? – Which delivers greater returns?
David Barbour, Managing Partner, FPE Capital
David Porter, Partner, Apposite Capital
Florian Strehle, Partner, Alpina Partners
Bill Priestley, Chief Investment Partner, Epiris
Minimising Risk with Varied Scale and Size of Asset Allocation
- What you need to think about when deciding where your money goes
- Is GP reputation enough to base your decision on?
- Which sectors are on the rise and set to grow for future returns?
- Lessons learnt
Jean-Philippe Burcklen, Deputy Director, European Investment Fund
Ana Maria Harrison, Investor Relations, Adams Street Partners
Davide Deagostino, Principal, BT Pension Scheme Management
Achieving An Optimum Exit: The Anicura Story
Nordic Capital shares its experience of building a Nordic vet care operator into a European leader over a four-year ownership period and of achieving an optimum exit in one of the largest ever veterinary services transactions.
How should LPs Invest in Venture Capital?
- New start-up business models and investment opportunities
- Minimising risk, building your network and getting the right information
- Understanding PC-value creation and fostering a culture of transparency
- Ensuring diversification of your stake in VC investments
Attracting and Retaining Top Talent for your PCs
- Hiring the right person to win business and create portfolio value
- Looking outside the box – finding the right talent in unexpected places
- Incentivisation - what works and what doesn’t
Chair: Nicholas Neveling, Editor, Real Deals
James Fassnidge, Partner, Drax
Graham Love, Chairman, The Royal Mint
Gareth Whiley, Partner, Silverfleet Capital
Creating and Communicating PC Value
- Focusing on increasing transparency
- Are GPs incentivised to push for best value?
- Lots of money chasing limited deals – how is this affecting the market?
- Creating and increasing value in PCs – what is the best method?
- Financial engineering, distress management, debt control and/or debt management
Chair: James Hales, Head of Origination, NorthEdge
Nicol Fraser, Partner, Dunedin
Martin Calderbank, Managing Partner, Agilitas
Hamish Mair, Managing Director, Head of Private Equity, BMO Global Asset Management
An opportunity for a group of 10-15 participants to sit down and discuss a specific issue, share opinions and strategies in an informal environment
Roundtable 1 – Secondary Markets
Roundtable 2 – Exiting for optimum returns
Roundtable 3 – Debt
Roundtable 4 – Asset Allocation
Roundtable 5 – Remuneration and Retention in GPs
You can join the industry for a relaxing drink and learn from poker expert Caspar Berry the ins and the outs of the game.
Day Two – Wednesday 6 February 2019
Examining the new GP business models in play
- To what extent is a new GP business model needed?
- Increasing duration of contracts - How longhold funds can work for you
- Minority deals - Why the growth in popularity?
- Co-investment - How can this work for both parties?
- Trends in the Multi vs. Single-Product GP model
- Client centricity and transparency within the successful GP model
Chair: Carolina Espinal, Managing Director, HarbourVest Partners
Kevin Albery, Investor Relations, Triton Partners
Julian Carr, Principal, Ethos Partners
Richard Hope, Managing Director, Hamilton Lane
David Santos, Partner, Alantra Private Equity
Does Co-investing Deliver Better Performance and Stronger Results?
- Transparency and trust - building the LP/GP relationship
- What is the current GP/LP appetite for co-investment
- Using co-investment to increase deal flow
- Returns from, and appetite for, PE
- Brexit and European PE returns
- Performance of PE in an economic downturn
- Diversity within PE
- Venture capital investments
Ensuring Resilience in the Face of Difficult Deals and Stressful Scenarios
- Dealing with rejection – Coping mechanisms for dealing with multiple bids that don’t convert
- Managing stress and staying focused when working to tight deadlines
A panel of PE experts will be challenged to speak for less than a minute without hesitation, deviation or repetition on market related issues that come up on the cards
- Grown maturity of private equity as an asset class
- Contrasting with the stock market
- New trends in private equity
- Focus on financial engineering, synthetic securities to address:
- Management fees
- Flattening the J curve
- Downside protection and risk mitigation
Buying into the Secondary Market
- What was purchased and why?
- What was the decision making process between buying on the secondary market and investing directly?
- How did the process differ from a standard deal?
- Lessons learnt
How are Secondary Markets Evolving
- Pricing and deal flows
- Do secondary markets work better in some sectors rather than others?
- Characterising the risk profile of primary vs. secondary investments
- Making secondaries the norm in LP portfolios
- Discussing the emergence of bespoke solutions within secondary transactions